Thursday, August 10, 2017

That Last Weekend

This was more of a crime novel than a cozy mystery.

Five women, college friends, are invited together again after a tragedy 10 years previously left one of them paralyzed.  The history and undercurrents between them, along with a creepy castle hotel (complete with ghost) which was the scene of the earlier tragedy, combine to create a tense moody menacing atmosphere.
It's not long until bodies start piling up.
With the arrival of the sheriff who failed to solve the earlier attempted murder, the gang's together for one last time.

I enjoyed reading this book quite a lot. It says much about the pacing and plot line that it distracted me through a weekend of dental emergency and kept me from completely climbing the walls. It's likely a comment about my state of mind at the time, that the characters blurred together a bit for me and I had to keep figuring out "oh, she's  the artist, she's the lawyer, that's the pregnant one".
For fans of Patterson's Women's Murder Club series, this one will satisfy.

4 stars.
Disclosure: I received an ARC at no cost from the author/publisher.

No comments:

Post a Comment