Friday, August 18, 2017

Downward Dog. Very serious Haiku from a Very Serious Dog

I really enjoyed this (very) short book.  Like the form of the poetry it embraces, the line drawing illustrations are spare and minimalistic and suit the material very well.  Haiku is not easy (well, that's the point).  This book is beautifully written, poignant in places and really funny in places.  It ends with an important message about adopting a companion from a shelter (like the author and coverdog, Martin :)

I find it difficult to not quote examples, but they are lovely and deal with the entire palette of experience from love and food and bonding, to fear of death and the endless universe.  It's a touching profound tribute that moved me and made me laugh (sometimes at the same moment).

Well done.  Truly well done.

Four stars

Disclosure: I received an ARC at no cost from the author/publisher.

No comments:

Post a Comment